How not to do a deadlift by Drake
Roll on the Drake jokes, ”Drake the type of n**** to apologize to the weights for slamming them” and so on we would love to hear your best one. But in all seriousness this is exactly HOW NOT TO DO A DEADLIFT and how exactly drake could end up looking like this again.
Doing deadlifts and other activities in the gym wrong can cause severe problems especially with the spine. Have a look at what your form should really be like.
Always start with the bar on the floor. Pulling from the safety pins is a Rack Pull. Deadlifting top down is a Romanian Deadlift. With conventional DEADlifts the bar must always start on the floor. Here’s how to Deadlift in 5 easy steps:
- Stand with the bar above the center of your feet – your stance should be a bit more narrow than shoulder-width to give your arms room.
- Grab the bar overhand so your arms are vertical to the floor – if your hamstrings are tight, do Squat 2 stands to boost your hip flexibility.
- Bend through your knees until your shins hit the bar which must remain above the middle of your feet. Shoulder-blades directly over the bar.
- Lift your chest but don’t squeeze your shoulder-blades like on Squats. Just put your shoulders back & down, head inline with rest of your spine.
- Pull – keep the bar close to your body, roll it over your knees and thighs until your hips and knees are locked. Do not lean back at the top.